The Great Southern Region
The Great Southern is one of the most diverse regions within Australia’s South West. The region’s landscapes vary from unspoilt coastline and idyllic seaside towns, to sprawling cattle country and national parks harboring rare species of flora and fauna.
There is plenty to do in the Great Southern, here are our top five:
- Try one of WA’s hardest walking and hiking trails in the Porongurup National Park, Bluff Knoll and beyond.
- Indulge in some freshly caught seafood, paired with some of the state’s finest wine.
- Join one of the region’s Aboriginal experience tours and discover traditions and the culture of Denmark, Albany, the Stirling Ranges, and Kojonup.
- Swim in the crystal-clear waters of Little Beach near Albany or Greens Pool near Denmark or head to Bremer Bay and keep an eye out for killer whales!
- Marvel at Albany’s coastline from The Gap and Natural Bridge lookouts in Torndirrup National Park, then meander under giant wind turbines at Albany’s Wind Farm.
The Great Southern has a wide array of clinical exposure to the following:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- Aged care
- Emergency medicine
- Mental health
- Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Sports medicine
- Youth health
There are 10 training facilities for you to choose from in the Great Southern region, ranging from GP practices, mental health, and sports medicine, to the local hospital. You’ll be well supported by one or more of the 34 rural generalist supervisors in the region, as well as the other 25 registrars living and working in the region’s major towns. You will also have regular contact with your regional medical educator, Dr John Rowlands who is a local generalist, and your program training advisor, Jade Dunning.
By working in a rural area, you are eligible to receive the rural support payment. This payment is available to registrars in rural and remote and/or district workforce shortage areas and is designed to help cover some of the costs of training in a rural/remote area. As a rural generalist registrar working in the Great Southern region you can receive anywhere from $1,250 to $2,500 per semester for the duration of your training. This is dependent on your location and term level. To find out more go to our easy-to-use Facility Finder online tool HERE