Region profile: the Kimberley
Posted on 24th Mar 2020
The Kimberley region, affectionately known as the wilderness frontier, is an ancient landscape covering hundreds of thousands of square kilometres. With ample adventure opportunities from sandy white beaches to majestic canyons, freshwater swimming holes to rugged 4WD tracks, luxury accommodation to outback stations, the Kimberley region has it all.
Whatever type of adventure takes your fancy, here are our top things to do in the Kimberley:
- Load up the 4WD from Derby and take a road trip up the Gibb River Road.
- Celebrate the West Kimberley lifestyle at the Derby Boab Festival.
- Explore the Kimberley coastline on an array of vessels, from helicopters to cruise liners.
- Relax on the riverbank and swim in the tranquil swimming hole near Kununurra at El Questro.
- See the ancient domes of Bungle Bungle Range in the Purnululu National Park.
- Immerse yourself in Indigenous culture at Cape Leveque in the Dampier Peninsula, north of Broome.
- Take in a unique experience at Tunnel Creek National Park, a couple hours from Derby or Fitzroy Crossing.
- Float along the Jewel of the Kimberley, Lake Argyle.
- Attend the Kimberley’s ultimate event, Kimberley Moon Experience.
- Treat yourself to the natural spectacle, the Staircase to the Moon.
There are a variety of training facilities for you to choose from in the Kimberley region, ranging from GP practices, Aboriginal Medical Services and remote clinics to the local hospital. You will be well-supported by a GP supervisor as well the other GP registrars living and working in the major towns in the Kimberley. You will also have regular contact with your program training advisor.
The Kimberley region has a wide array of clinical exposure to the following:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- emergency medicine
- mental health
- drug and alcohol services
- obstetrics and gynaecology
- chronic disease
- remote medicine (Royal Flying Doctor Service).
Want more information on the Kimberley? Contact us today on 9473 8200 or email us on email@example.com.