Frequently asked questions

What is a rural generalist?

A rural generalist is a medical practitioner who is trained to meet the specific current and future health care needs of Australian rural and remote communities, in a sustainable and cost-effective way. A rural generalist provides both comprehensive general practice and emergency care, and required components of other medical specialist care in hospital and community settings as part of a rural healthcare team. (National Rural Generalist Taskforce Advice, December 2018)

What are the benefits of rural generalism?

The Rural Generalist Policy provides additional flexibility for registrars on the AGPT Program if you are selected for and have committed to Rural Generalist Training. This includes easing restrictions on transfers between training regions and additional time available for training as you may need to do more than one skills training term to meet community need.

What are the requirements for eligibility to apply?

You must undertake your Extended Skills and Community GP or Core Generalist Training with your home RTO. However you can Advanced Rural Skills Training/Advanced Skills Training outside of your homestate/rural areas, when:

You’re unable to undertake ARST/AST within the Training Region in which you’re enrolled. You can then transfer to another Training Region. In this situation, ARST/AST should be undertaken in an MMM 2-7 location where possible. 

Registrars enrolled in a State or Territory Based Rural Generalist program would need to comply with the requirements of their state-based program. 

Where Rural Generalist registrars are unable to complete their ARST/AST in MMM 2-7 locations, RTOs may approve registrars temporarily training in an MMM 1 location. 

For registrars subject to Section19AB of the Health Insurance Act 1973 and who require access to the Medicare Benefits Schedule, a Section19AB exemption will be required before they can be approved to train in an MMM 1 location. 

In order for an RTO to approve the registrar undertaking their ARST/AST on a temporary basis in an MMM 1 location, all reasonable options for rural placements within their Training Region must have been exhausted and the requirements under Section 19AB of the Health Insurance Act 1973 must have been met (where applicable).

How do I apply?

See our application process here.

Can I change to rural generalism?

WAGPET assesses applications to transfer on a case by case basis. Please contact us here so that one of our training advisors can help you.  

Which college offers this pathway in WA?

The WA Rural Generalist (WARG) program is delivered by Western Australian General Practice Education and Training (WAGPET) in partnership with the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM) and Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP).

How does rural generalism effect my future work opportunities?

Rural and remote areas of WA are some of the most under-serviced areas in Australia. The WARG program allows you to study in a much needed specilisation, where flexibility and work-life balance can lead you to a rewarding, relationship-based career. 

On completion of the WARG program, you will have a fellowship with ACRRM and/or RACGP*(plus a Fellowship of Advanced Rural General Practice), plus at least one advanced skill, enabling you to provide primary care within a community general practice setting as well as advanced services within a rural hospital setting. WAGPET will ensure you complete your training with competence and confidence as a rural generalist, ready to take on any clinical situation you’re faced with. This may be with additional advanced skills or clinical exposure and mentoring.

What specialist skills can I do during rural generalism training?

You can read more about the different specialisations available here.

What financial support is available for rural generalist registrars?

Read about subsidies and what they cover here.